Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Unconnected Tassel Necklace

Vera Wang, Fall 2008 Runway (Detail Shot)

3.1 Philip Lim, Fall 2008 Runway
Large, chunky necklaces are huge for fall, but I'm not so sure of (what I call) the unconnected tassel necklace, which perplexes me. I suppose the weight of the tassels themselves anchor the necklace from falling off with the slightest breeze, but somehow, with the running around that we women do, this necklace would be akin to the stiletto, worn only in a fixed location (there are the brave ones out there, but alas, I am not one of them) with the most trusted of confidantes (remember that party Carrie went to where she had to abandon her Manolos at the door?). The constant worry that my statement piece is waiting to escape at any opportunity would cancel out any pleasure that it would garner. Knowing me, I would constantly be holding onto them, looking ready to ding dong as a bell. While sometimes one must sacrifice for fashion (as Yeats pointed out, women "must labor to be beautiful"), I've long denied that route as long as I can--or as long as a cab ride to a party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its really very hard to believe, that is really a necklace, very unique design.