Wednesday, July 30, 2008

When You Have To Walk Away...

Unfortunately, I tortured myself by going to the Proenza Schouler sample sale today. Although I told myself that I'd be good all summer long (a real feat, let me tell you), I went "just in case." The item that caught my eye and tempted me to no end? A black, white, and chocolate brown hand-stitched zebra-print pencil skirt. Okay--you're probably thinking, a zebra skirt? (I'm reading Rhinoceros right now, so maybe that had something to do with it.) I'm not usually a zebra-print kind-of gal. But this piece was impeccably made, beautiful to look at, and easy to wear. But then there was that pesky price tag.

In these cases--shopping emergencies--you need to rely on a friend out there who can talk some sense into you. My good friend asked all the right questions, leading me through my jumbled maze of temptation. Yes, it was beautiful. Yes, I could wear it easily and for day. But could I wear it frequently? No, I admitted. It would be one of those "she's wearing that zebra skirt again" sort of item. And that sealed the deal.

My closet is bursting at the seams, and there's no need to fill it with an expensive skirt that I'll wear once in a blue moon. And I have to face it: the economy isn't looking too good. And so, with a heavy heart and a forced frown, I walked away.

Looking back, I realize that at another time, I would have easily bought that skirt. But while my finances really have not worsened, I am being more cautious, more circumspect about what I buy. I considered my fall must-haves, and I realized that that skirt was not on that list. Zebras will have to wait for another season.

P.S. This has nothing to do with my post, other than the fact that I was annoyed that women brought their boyfriends and gay friends to the sample sale, where women had to undress openly. Women: please be considerate!!

No comments: