Monday, July 14, 2008

The Importance of Being Earnest About Sunblock


Anybody who knows me knows that after the appearance of a few sunspots (euphemistically known as freckles) and some eye-opening articles about the sun in magazines, I became a zealous convert to sunblock. I immediately withdrew from any sun-worshipping activities and faithfully slathered SPF 75 on my face every day, regardless of season, temperature, or occasion.
~
Recently, I have decided that those cautionary procedures were not enough. Since I am cursed with dry skin (I can be prone to eczema if I am not careful), I decided to do double duty with my lotion and SPF. Neutrogena creates the most wonderful sunblock: it contains UVA and UVB protection (both are incredibly important; the former type of ray is the cause of burns, and the latter creates wrinkles and sunspots), it's non-comedogenic (it won't create acne), it feels like a body lotion and doesn't leave a greasy afterfeel, and it's cheap. Now my morning ritual includes slathering this stuff on my arms, legs, and feet.
~
You may scoff at this extreme activity (somehow, this always shocks people--as if I were skydiving or swimming with man-eating sharks and crocodiles!), but trust me: this is the single most important part of your preventative anti-aging routine.

No comments: