Monday, June 30, 2008

What $10,000 Buys You Today

Chanel Lambskin Classic Flap Bag With Glassstone and Rhodoid Embroidery (NOTE: The above photo features the same bag in jersey; the exorbitant cost is for the lambskin bag)

As I did some field research (pictures simply do not cut it sometimes) today, I happened upon two $10,000 bags: the one above, in lambskin, and a Bottega Veneta limited edition expandable lizard bag in a lovely mustardy taupe (I regret that I could not obtain a photo of said bag). Both were painfully beautiful, exceptionally made, and ridiculously overpriced. I remember when Hermes was the highest high-end bag company out there and anyone seen with a Birkin (now roughly $7 grand for the leather version) was sporting haute bag-couture. Now, sadly enough, an Hermes is commonplace (at least, on Fifth and Madison Avenues), and a quietly fabulous bag costs a year's worth of tuition (at least at a state school) and merits barely a raised eyebrow on the street.

My slow ascent into the world of designer bags has left me somewhat jaded. As my husband always is quick to point out, I was madly in love with my first Gucci bag, which has now since had an unfortunate accident and is retired on my bag shelf. Then came the slew of mid- to high-end bags: Kate Spade, Coach, Longchamp, Prada, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Yves St. Laurent, Fendi, Bottega Veneta. And yet, there's always a new designer bag out there that I covet. With designer bag prices reaching astronomical highs, I've finally decided that there's a limit for even the most dedicated fashionista.

$10k? Are you kidding me? I'm all for a well-made gorgeous handbag, but at the prices that are proliferating today, I have to wonder what compels one to make the charge. Then again, there is a diamond-encrusted crocodile Birkin that goes for $148,000. I suppose that Chanel bag is supposed to look cheap by comparison.

No comments: