Saturday, December 27, 2008

Gap Cashmere Sweaters

Gap Cashmere Sweater, on sale for $54.99 (down from $110)

After repeated frustrations with J.Crew cashmere sweaters (the quick pilling after one season of wear finally got to me), I decided to turn elsewhere for my cashmere sweater fix. A co-worker surprised me by praising Gap sweaters for their ability to withstand seasons of wear and tear. (So far, Vince sweaters have never failed me, but then again, they're double the price of J.Crew sweaters.) I purchased a gray version of the above sweater at $89, but after seeing the price reduction, I called Gap and asked for the difference, which they graciously approved (most companies have a 14 day price reduction limit). You can't beat $55 for a decently-made cashmere sweater, and the fit was perfect (being smaller on top, I purchased the "petite" version). The sweater is also available in off-white, pink, camel, gray, and black.

4 comments:

WendyB said...

J. Crew's cashmere quality has gone down, I think. I have one of there cashmere sweaters from 10 years ago and it is pristine. But last year, when I got one, it pilled after three wearings! They took it back but I was somewhat annoyed by their email wherein they explained the concept of pilling to me. Humph.

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

WendyB, how rude! I can't believe they actually did that.

WendyB said...

I just remembered that I blogged it!
http://wbjewelry.blogspot.com/2007/12/four-years-ago-this-month.html

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with some $200 J. Crew cashmere sweaters too, in 2007. They didn't hassle me, fortunately. I couldn't believe the degree of pilling.