Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Almost Perfect: Alice + Olivia Dress

Alice + Olivia Shawl Collar Dress, $440 at Net-a-porter
I can't tell you the countless times I've seen an item and fervently wished that I could have consulted the designer. I adore Oscar de la Renta's stingray bag (seen on Bag Snob), but the handle should have been bigger so I could fit my wrist through it in case my hands were preoccupied. I oohed and aahed over the purple ostrich clutch with brown crocodile trim by Bottega Veneta, but the damn closure was a real pain, forcing you to undo the buckle every time you open it. And now this dress, which has a large, retro shawl collar, a magnificent belt, and neutral color. But that damn asymmetrical hem! I'm not the "hoochie mama" type (never have been, never will be), which means that the only way I could wear this dress would be with black tights. A dress should be versatile, not restrictive. And like Goldilocks, I want my purchases to be "just right."

No comments: