Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fashionable New Year's Resolutions?

It's quite true that I stopped making New Year's Resolutions after many redundant attempts (exercise was always at the top of that list), but this year, I've fixated on one in particular: to start a diary. My copious beaten-up diaries (I hid them in the crack of a unused door jam for years) were my inexpensive therapist, but now I see them acting as my personal historian. That sounds quite elevated and serious, but the reality is my memory is getting worse with each passing year. Chalk it up to aging or a boring life, but with the advent of a new year and some recent life/death moments--all witnessed, not experienced, by me--, I've decided to retain any measure of my memory while I still have one. (Watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button also helped spark this idea, by the way.)

On a lighter note, this is a fashion blog, so somehow I feel the need to dish out some terse but practical fashion advice in a 10 Commandments-like style. Here's what I can muster up. I hope you don't find them too corny.

1. See Red. Apparently, men are attracted to women who wear red. Seeing as I am already married, I find myself quite fortunate as I rarely wear red. But as I'm starting to realize, it helps to break out of a fashion rut and wear a color you don't normally wear.

2. Rock it. The subtext to this commandment is necessary as it bears some relevance to me: experiment with styles that are not normally yours. I'm more "uptown" than "downtown" in my style, so I'm trying to envision myself with more leather, leggings, and chains. (Those of you who actually know me: stop laughing please.) I may not succeed, especially given that I just unfortunately have had a very traumatic new haircut (a very short bob), which somehow makes me look simultaneously old and young. My husband assures me that it will grow back.

3. Belt it. I apologize for the numerous ambiguous pronouns, but sometimes, you've gotta go there. Ever since I discovered belts (yes, there was a time when yours truly hated them--why, I have no idea looking back [geez, see what I mean about my bad memory?]), I've learned to love them. Belts cover over a multitude of sins, to grossly misuse the Bible. But hey, they do.

4. Shop Your Closet. I've heard a lot about this tip from magazines recently due to the economic recession (*cough* depression) we're in. It makes sense. Most of us have "stuff" in there that hasn't seen the light of day in years. Alter or exchange it with a similarly-shaped friend of yours.

5. Dress Up. It's very easy to look like a shlub. There's something quite tempting about it. (If someone hasn't looked into the psychology behind deliberate bad dressing, he/she should.) But resist the urge. You will feel ten times better in a nicer outfit. And this applies to weekend wear too.

6. Invest wisely. This goes for all kinds of investments: personal (i.e. spending more time with loved ones), financial (duh), and material (the "goods," as my husband calls it). Purchase items with staying power. A quality coat will cost more, but it will last longer.

7. Imitate, then deviate. For those of you who like a style but can never dress like it, I suggest applying a critical eye to photos of celebs/fellow bloggers/friends. As they say in math, reduce the look to its simplest parts. You don't need the exact same garment to create a similar look. Then add your own personal touches to avoid being a total copycat.

8. Mute it. I've heard from a fellow teacher that students who mute the T.V. (and turn on Closed Captioning) can greatly increase their reading level. In fashion terms, however, choosing pale, muted tones (beige, pink, khaki, dove gray) will bring your otherwise boring outfit to life. Or experiment with different--and unexpected--color combinations. You'll be amazed by how many colors actually do "go together."

9. See Double. I say this as I am considering Lasik for my poor vision: shop with two eyes: one for basics, and one for special stand-out items. This will alter your shopping experience greatly. Basics should be cheap and varied (buy camisoles/leggings/tights/underwear in a multitude of colors and styles). Once you like something, it's perfectly fine to stick to it and order things in bulk. But choose special items carefully--a stand-out pair of shoes, a gorgeous blouse, a sequined skirt. You need only ONE stand-out item for an outfit to look chic; everything else can be basic.

10. Accept/Except. Learn to love that permanent flaw of yours this year, and reject that poisoned apple you've allowed yourself to bite into year after year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this ia a brilliant advice. I will keep in mind. Thanks.

Aunt Murry said...

Hi, I found you through tiny cricket. I just wanted to say I regularly shop in my closet! Its much fun. But since I am in plus sized clothes I will never belt it. Some great advice though!