Monday, October 6, 2008

History As Her Miu(se)?

After Miuccia Prada completely horrified me with her inexplicable Prada spring 2009 collection, I waited eagerly with fearful anticipation for her sister line, Miu Miu. Prada doesn't always paint with the same brush (this fall is clear evidence of that; Prada focused on lace, while Miu Miu focused on sporty looks), and while I wasn't completely endeared, I wasn't repulsed, either. The reappearance of an asymmetrical skirt line concerned me (I don't see how aprons could ever be the new skirt accessory), but this collection was more controlled and tasteful than her eponymous line. With history as her muse, Prada incorporated ancient historical references that made me question my comfort zone. Here are the looks that inspired more than a "humph" from me:

1. This saffron and mud sheath is strangely enticing, despite the fact that it features a prominent head on the bottom. The short length and the fitted silhouette make it work, to borrow Tim Gunn's motto.


2. This is a strapless version of the above design, without the garish tribal head staring at you. Unfortunately, it appears somewhat frumpy despite the extra swath of exposed skin at the top:


3. Moth-eaten holes appeared as a running motif throughout her collection, which would normally have me--and my grandmother--running for the proverbial hills. Yet the deconstructed look, which I can only stomach in certain looks (like a Yigal Azrouel dress I have which features loose gold threads over a fitted white sheath), is cooler than cool here:


4. And now for the bags--which were exceptionally fantastic. This camel, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate bag is better suited for fall than spring, but it nevertheless has a cool chic quotient that can't be denied:


This cranberry whipsnake satchel is to die for:


...And it is downright capable of producing mobs of desperate fashionistas in a white/gray version (*I must have this bag!*):


5. Prada's shoes are always a delight because of their capacity to surprise.

These merlot python T-straps are fantastic staples for any wardrobe:


I adore the burlap fabric and muted, inky spots on these:


These black and gray swirl T-straps are not for the faint of heart:


If I could bear the awkward position of these, I'd wear them to death:

3 comments:

Songy said...

interesting how miu miu's collection is so much more streamlined and interesting than prada. I agree with you those shoes are awesome.

Miss Cavendish said...

Regarding the last pair of shoes: I have a pair of Chie Mihara sandals that have an identical heel and they're completely comfortable. Perhaps these would work for you after all!

WendyB said...

Do the many moth holes in my vintage clothes mean I'm right on trend?